FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - In the U.S., what does ordering a "plain hamburger" mean where you live?
Old Jul 12, 2009, 12:08 am
obscure2k
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by braslvr
I don't remember how many years you lived in California, but virtually all old fashioned 'drive-in' burger joints as far back as the early 60s (probably earlier) used a thousand island type sauce (like In-N-Out's) on their burgers as a standard condiment along with lettuce, tomato, onion, and pickles. It's what I grew up on, and therefore IMHO what a hamburger should be. It wasn't until many years later I found that it was mostly a California thing. I also remember some places being reluctant on altering that standard burger which was why (I always thought) BK started the "have it your way" deal. Luckily for me there are still a few old fashioned drive-ins in most every city in CA that still make burgers just like I had when I was a little kid.

As to your question, I never order a plain burger, but I've heard plenty of other people say "just meat and cheese" or "just meat".
Just remember that if you want thousand island and the restaurant doesn't have it, ask for some mayo and ketchup and mix them together. It works.