FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Suggestions for improvement to CDG operations
Old Jul 8, 2009, 4:23 pm
Armchair Flyer

Programs: Skywards, KrisFlyer, Flying Blue, BAEC but only till I’ve used all my Avios, Thai Orchid
Originally Posted by creber
I was there, too, on Monday. A bit later though, for a 09h50 departure no "because of Athens screening here we create chaos elsewhere" bordel, I guess I just missed that. Still long waits including at Accès No. 1. Much better on Tuesday morning though, for an 08h15 departure.

But thanks for reminding me of this thread, because I have a point that starts driving me nuts, and I would like to phrase it in the same terms as your "bus driver wish list":

A. Dismiss the person responsible for security controls at T1.
B. Dismiss all the staff working at security control at T1 whose manners are insufficient for being in contact with civilized members of the human race and/or whose IQ is below 60.
C. Open all three tunnels leading from departure level to "satellite access" level, not just one.
D. Always open all security lanes in satellites. It doesn't need a queue of more than 50 people to justify opening of a new lane. Worst that could happen would be security agents having some idle time, but they don't seem to eager anyway, so that should be a win-win

For those employees that meet the criteria set in B (no-one working at the entrance of the tunnels leaving from departure hall to satellite access level meets them; a fair number at the security filters in the satellites actually do), the following things should be taught:

1. Make it as least unpleasant for pax as possible. We all understand you are just fulfilling a legal obligation, but there are ways to make this pleasant and fast for pax, and there are ways to make this lengthy and unpleasant. There's no reason to go for lengthy and unpleasant. It will not improve security.
  2. Speed up your overall pace of work and processing. Passengers pass through here because they have a plane to catch. If they have spare time, they'll want to spend it doing something pleasant or useful, in the lounge, in the shops, at the bar. But not at security control. Some of you may come from cultures where "time" has a different meaning and "hurry" doesn't exist, but few people here will care.
  3. Speak English when needed. Shouting at a pax in French and threatening to call the police if he doesn't obey doesn't get you very far. It's stupid and impolite.
  4. Do some basic line management. Some pax are not frequent users of airports, so ushering them to un- oder under-used lanes may speed the overall process. Don't just stand there and stare idly at them waiting. Also, when there's a line that says "reserved for people requiring special assistance and those departing within 20 mins", make sure it is respected. The entrance of that line would be a good point to make your BP checks, since you do them anyway.
  5. Be sensible, ask only for things to be taken out of bags that make sense. "PC" is standards, "and all cables" is bullocks.
  6. Be respectful of people's needs. Asking a wheel-chaired passenger with a casted leg to take off the cast is inappropriate. Sure, he could be hiding something in his cast, but he could also have swallowed an explosive. You are not going to rip out his stomach to check, so you can just as well use your sophisticated material to check whether there's something dangerous hidden in the cast.
  7. Wash. You are in close touch with people. Basic hygiene such as showering before coming to work and using deodorant should be normal.
  8. When discussing with a passenger, behave. Immediately shouting at him, pushing him, using "tu" instead of "vous" - completely inappropriate, especially if the pax is calm.
  9. If you are frustrated because your life is a failure, don't prep up your ego by showing to pax all the powers that you have, including strip-searching them for no reason, unpacking all their luggage at slow speed, making them miss their flight, talking to them in a brash manner. If your life is a failure, it's not pax' fault. Get drunk, jump down a bridge, beat your wife or listen to Cliff Richard - whatever. But leave the pax out of the game.
  10. Clear away empty bins from the X-ray line rather then having them pile up at the end of the "conveyor belt". Pax are 100% busy getting re-assembled after having taken off their shoes, belts, jackets and having unpacked their belongings. Hearing you complaining loudly that none of the pax put away their bins is unprofessional. All over the world security staff take the initiative to clear away the bins so as not to have them pile into each other and sandwich handbags and briefcases lying between them.
  11. Be respectful with people's belongings. Some people have handbags, briefcases or other pieces of hand luggage that they care about and/or that are fragile, for instance made of leather. They are built to resist normal usage, but not being thrown on the belt or squeezed between bins (see 10.). When a gentleman asks for permission to put his bag into a bin, don't take it out. There's no reason why ladies' handbags should be put into bins, but gentlemen's briefcases are not allowed to.
  12. Don't try to be smarta$$es. When you are again taking 15 minutes just to open a zipper or spending time showing to all your colleagues this bizarre thing you have never seen in your life and organizing a little trivia game about what it could be (it's a shoe tree) and pax reminds you that he actually needs to go on and take his plane, don't give responses like "You just need to get up earlier" or "Just take a train". No, you just do your work swiftly and understanding that even security control is a service job. Smarta$$ answers never work from you, because, as the word implies, it takes smartness. See criteria B for a minimum IQ requirement.

I understand the need for security and I am all for security. But I do not follow the reasoning of these people that the way they're working is required by European law or improving security. Numerous examples from other airports working under the same rules are living prove.
A very appropriate post Creber! The power-tripping trolls on security fully merit the points and comments you have raised. Why oh why do we continue to pay to put up with this abuse? Are these people immune and exempt from employee disciplinary procedures?

As for Malonda's post: well yep here we are again in high BO season. Enter and board at your peril. If you escape being confronted by ADP/Brinks/Securitas staff who decline to use under arm frangrance of any sort and thus positively hum to the point it makes your eyes water, you will undoubtedly find yourself seated in the proximity of a pax who gets nicely installed, removes jacket and then infuses the surrounding 10 rows with the most pungent "au naturel" odour that would put mustard gas a distant second.

Have these such people heard of anti-perspirant?

Cheers

Sim