FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - theWit Chicago - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel {US-IL}
Old Jun 27, 2009, 1:52 pm
windchill

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Arrow theWit Chicago - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel {US-IL}

Fairly new hotel at State Street and Lake in the Loop of Chicago. Very modern decor and excellent service. Stayed there on a busy Friday evening with Mrs.Windchill using points. The desk upgraded us to a corner Spa Room without having to request it. The room was large by city standards and the bathroom was worth the upgrade. The spa soaking tub was large enough for two and the shower was in the corner with detachable shower wand. The nightly turndown service was nice and no shortage of staff to respond to and request. ^
The roof top lounge is THE hot spot in the loop so have your key card out at night to get near the evelators. Guests can access via lobby elevators, the club going locals have to use an entrance around the corner. The restaurant on the first floor "State and Lake" had a wonderful menu geared toward local tastes. The deserts are rich and well worth the cost. The bar failed to have a blender so the Mrs. was disappointed since she is a blended drinks fan.
The restaurant on the second floor was Italian in theme however after reviewing the chef's take on on it, we choose more traditional italian fare a couple of blocks away. This is a great city for Italian fare so this menu was a turn off to our party.
The room rates are comparable to Palmer House with a much more modern feel and friendly service. I would recommend this hotel to anyone without children staying in the city. This is not a family hotel, very chic and very hip. This was great for our kid-free date night. The location in the theater district and abundance of great restaurants and watering holes far exceeded my expectations.
Only downside for us was the lack of parking and the lack of space in the mini-fridge for our leftovers from dinner (I like a late night snack). Parking was less than a block away in either direction with an easy walk. We were up high so we did not hear the trains at all. Can't wait to stay there again for another date night with Mrs.Windchill.