FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Business Class San Francisco to China (SFO-PEK, PVG-SFO)
Old Jun 27, 2009, 6:55 am
SFflyer123

Programs: UA 1K
At the airport--Shanghai Airlines Terminal 2 Star Alliance Lounge

So after we get to the airport, which is beautiful, by the way, we then proceed to United Check in. Amazingly, it looks just like at home. They have the standard lines and red carpets, etc. There was essentially no line. Our flight was at 12:25pm departure. We left to get into a taxi to go to the maglev at 9am. We got to the airport at 10am, no problem, with a 1/2 hour taxi ride and a 7 min maglev ride.

Check in was a snap, just as fast as in the USA if not faster. United leaves from terminal 2, and the star alliance lounge there is for Shanghai air. They gave us an entry pass into the Shanghai Air lounge. I got the sense the pass was more important than my star alliance gold card and boarding pass. In fact, they didn't even ask for the star alliance gold card.

The lounges are upstairs, just above the terminal from which you depart. We got to our gate, then just took the escalator up to the lounge. They collect the pass, and then you're in the business section. They also have a first class section in the same entry way. This is set up like Lufthansa's lounge of senator and business right next to each other.

The lounge itself is fantastic. Much better than most red carpet clubs. It is comparable to a LH Senator lounge. They have noodles, some dumplings and snacks, wine, beers in cans, and fruit. The matrons who are they are fantastic. They really help you with service (even though it's all self-serve) if you ask them for something. For anybody who has been to China, you know that most of the bathrooms outside of a luxury hotel are simply disgusting. The bathrooms here were fantastic, just like an American bathroom. They don't do announcements at this lounge, but you basically can overlook your gate and see when they start boarding.

Overall, the airport experience was great, and the lounge in Shanghai was really nice. Here are my photos from maglev to check in to lounge to getting ready to board:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3282838...361427/detail/

Last edited by SFflyer123; Jun 28, 2009 at 4:16 pm