FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ind-iad-yyz-cdg-haj-cdg-yyz-ind
View Single Post
Old Jun 20, 2009, 2:03 pm
sletohdarnoc

Lufthansa 4321
Dep: CDG 8:55a
CRJ200 - Seat 10A

I write this leg of the report while on the TATL flight back to Toronto. Were currently 1746 miles out with just under three and a half hours to go. Anyway... I left the hotel early to catch the shuttle to CDG. The Novotel shuttle does not go to terminal one, so I was left to fend for myself. I Walked about 10 minutes to the CDGVAL train, the tram that goes to all three terminals. It was pretty empty that time of the morning and was in terminal one in about 14 minutes. After making my way to the Lufthansa check in and seeing the monstrous economy lines, I decided to use the machine. I was checked in in no time and just needed to drop off my luggage. I entered the queue with only one person ahead of me. While waiting, I was ushered over to the First Class line to drop off my bags. I had my boarding pass reprinted-- issues with the hotel printer -- and while I didn’t get a lounge invitation or fancy boarding pass/jacket (I wasn’t expecting one), I still thought it was pretty cool to use the LH First Class line. I made my way to the moving walkway where they check for your boarding pass before heading to your concourse. After getting on that I went straight to the underground walkway to security. After clearing that with the rude staff, I went to go sit down. OK, mistake number one: going through security. There was nothing except for a couple of shoddy internet kiosks and and overpriced ‘cafe.’ I powered up the MacBook and found that I could pay 10 Euro for WIFI. I wonder when the world will realize that WIFI should be free... I bit the bullet and found that half the sites I wanted to go to wouldn’t load... including FlyerTalk, CNN, or my college site. Great. I took that time to look around the holding area. I found it to be old, dirty, and smelly. Oh well... Boarding time came and went. With no announcement or screen information. Just after 9:15, they made the announcement that the plane was late coming in from London or somewhere and that boarding would begin in 15 minutes. That time came and I boarded my CRJ200 that had maybe 10 people on it. I had two seats to myself. We packed up and sat on the ground for a little while with the pilot explaining we lost our slot. He told of a 10 minute wait. After his announcement, we started to move and he came back on and explained of immediate departure. We took off with a powerful roll and were soon into the clouds. I saw that in ‘business class’ he was serving breakfast. I was surprised-- this was only a 52 minute flight. I listened to some music and was jolted awake by the FA offering me a sandwich and drink! I thought I was dreaming! I had the turkey sandwich and it came with a mini Twix bar. After that, time passed quickly and we started our decent into HAJ, or Hanover/Hannover/Hanvore (I saw it spelled three different ways.). While looking out the window upon touchdown, I saw some huge rabbits in the median of the runway with some airport staffers trying to catch them. Is this common? Anyway, I laughed at it and we went to our remote stand where we were bussed to the gate. I didn’t realize how huge (compared to IND, anyway) HAJ was. Plenty of airlines and it looks like TUIfly has some operations there. I was impressed with the size, cleanliness, and friendliness of everyone. My FT priority tagged suitcase was number 2 on the belt-- luggage started running no more than 15 seconds after my arrival. Anyway, I was extremely impressed with Lufthansa and HAJ. This was my first trip with LH and intra-Europe flight. I was ready to start my first trip to Germany.
Lufthansa 4326
Dep. HAJ 6:05p
CRJ200 - 10A

After a brief but great trip to Germany, it was time to head back to Paris. I was dropped off back at HAJ about 4 hours before my flight due to my host unable to drop me off at a closer time. I started my long time by grabbing an ‘American’ burger and fries at some 50s themed joint. The meat was a little questionable, but other than that it was good. I then had heard about (over the PA) some sort of observation deck. I first went to some internet cafe (I had left my converter at the Novotel) and checked email, credit card stuff, and chat with some family via Google Mail. I left there and took the elevator up to the observation deck and paid 1,50 Euro (other than 2,50 for being a student) for entry. I went up there and got some good views; however HAJ isn’t the busiest airport. For the hour and a half I was up there, I only saw 3 planes take off (including 2 private jets). The weather was still really nice so I just read and enjoyed my time. I went back downstairs to the main terminal and decided to head through security. Here at HAJ, there were eateries and shops beyond security. It wasn’t much, but it was something. I had a couple of beers while reading some more (have to enjoy the legal drinking age while I can ). We were delayed a few minutes again and were bussed out to another CRJ200. This flight was much fuller and I had a seatmate this time. Another sandwich with mini Mars bar was offered and I tried the cheese this time. Gotta love that pretzel bread! After a quick flight, we made our way into CDG. We landed on time and made our way to terminal one. I deplaned and went inside the terminal. I proceeded to the underground walkway and went to baggage claim. Of course, the CDG ground staff decided to use one carousel for three flights: HAJ, Kuwait, and BKK (I think). Yeah, I get to wait for my bags in a crowed, cramped, and smelly baggage hall! Luckily enough, HAJ bags came out first (even though we came in last) and I was on my way. I went to catch the CDGVAL again but first I needed to use the payphone to call my friend in Germany to let her know I was safe. It must have took me 20 minutes to figure out how to call from those stupid phones. I finally got through to her voicemail and left a message. After riding the CDGVAL (much more crowded this time) I started my long walk back to 2A door 8 to catch the Novotel shuttle. It only took 20 minutes this time, and was soon back in Roissy.

Anyway, another pleasant experience with LH (not so much for CDG) I was glad to be back at the hotel. I’ve just finished those Lemon-Chili Rocket Chips on the TATL flight-- they are delicious. Anyone know where to buy them? I’ll wait to finish the rest of the report until I finish the trip. Only 1293 miles until we land in YYZ! I hope you’re enjoying the report.