FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United to start flights London (YXU) <-> Chicago October
Old Jun 18, 2009, 7:00 pm
Joe Airman

1) For anyone who lives in or around YXU, the more carriers that serve YXU the better. I would have preferred that US Air bring back their YXU-PIT service that they stopped back in Oct 2000, but seeing that PIT is no longer the hub it once was, this service to ORD is a mixed bag (who wants to fly west to a hub if their destination is east or south-east?).

2) I've been screwed enough by winter problems and summer storms at YYZ so that's a wash as far as I see it. I remember one particular landing at YYZ where (according to my GPS) we were 5 minutes to touchdown when YYZ closed and we had to divert to Hamilton, where we had to sit in the plane for a few hours for a refueling (and the DHL planes got fuel priority before we did).

3) If I can get to ORD but can't connect to YXU then there's always voluntary re-route to DTW and RobertQ. If I can't get to ORD then because they're *A they'll get me to YYZ and put me on Jazz to YXU.

4) I don't think I've ever experienced US customs at ORD. Do you clear immigration with - or without - your checked bags (remember, immigration is not customs). How many international flights arrive at ORD before 8 am? As far as returning to Canada and clearing CDN customs, I'll take YXU over YYZ any day. And my duty free booze experience will be much improved.

5) Jet service to YXU? Suweet. Maybe even no french announcements either. Announcements that drone on and on and on and ...