FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can I Use My Kindle During Take-Off & Landing?
Old Jun 17, 2009, 7:38 pm
Brituchenite

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyingfran
My husband is tired of lugging around 20 paperbacks, and I have been converted to a Kindle Electronic Book. The device has two modes. When the "Wireless" mode is on I can purchase books from Amazon and they are instantly loaded onto the Kindle. I realize that this is not something I would be permitted to do. Because it uses battery power I keep the Wireless mode turned off all the time except when I am actually purchasing books.

The other mode is simply when the machine is "on" so I can read the book. I cannot imagine how reading my book from my Kindle would cause any electronic interference. Does anyone know if there is a policy on these devices, or will they just fall under the umbrella of "electronic device"?

The Kindle is always "on". There is always a screen-saver displayed. I just slide a bar to "wake" it up so I can read. I do not know how to turn it off. I assume it cannot be turned off.

I will probably have to take a paperback if I cannot use my Kindle. I do not do take-offs and landings very well without something to distract me.
I would imagine if it has an "on-off" switch, then it will need to be off for take-off and landings. Usually the FAs will announce "anything with an on-off switch needs to be turned off".