FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Vienna Park {AUT}
View Single Post
Old Mar 28, 2002, 5:56 am
JoeDoakes

Vienna (City) Hilton

4.0 Doakes out of a possible 5.0 Doakes for those who don't want to read further.

Pluses: Start with an excellent welcome. I walked in, very burned out, and said "Guten Tag and that's all the German I've managed to learn so far." Desk clerk, handsome and impeccably groomed and coiffed, replied, "That is tremendous, sir." Well, no, it ain't but thanks for saying so. Then continue with "Sir, we have given you the best available room on the non-smoking Executive floor, with a view of the city and the river."

The room wasn't as big as the Strasbourg but there was a welcome drink of some kinda weird fuzzy peachy stuff that was non-alcoholic and I think maybe mangoes were involved. I did not find it appealing in a culinary or beverage type sense, but it was visually attractive. There was also a hand written note from the manager.

I'm too lazy to edit, but should add that Strasbourg also had a hand written note from the manager and a gift of a beer (leading me to believe someone researched my prior Hilton invoices!)

Just a thoroughly excellent staff all around. The desk clerk in the morning gave me a city transit map with additional personal notations on all the museums. The concierge was cheerful, helpful, friendly, and did not have his hand out. The bar staff was excellent, knowledgeable, handsome, and impeccably groomed.

Also, this hotel is not only right across the street from a train station (though not the main one), but is actually itself the bus terminal from the airport. Anyone with any sense would take the bus to the airport for 5.90 Euro each way but Doakes is cheap and took two trains for a total of I think 3.80 Euros. This questionable economy allowed me several additional beers as there is a grocery store in the Vienna airport that sells 500 ml beers for 0.42 Euro. Beer was very cheap in Vienna, the cheapest I have ever found in Europe so far. I did notice after I got on the train from the airport that there were international signs that appeared to say no drinking on the train, but I stood right in front of the conductor to buy my ticket with a beer in my hand, both directions, and nobody said anything. I am big on obeying the rules but usually this is not a rule in Europe IME.

I did eat at the Terminal Pub and it was good (I had vegetarian pizza but also visually inspected the brats and burgers and they looked good as well). I normally don't eat at the hotel in which I'm staying, but this is sorta betwixt and between so I gave it a go.

Minuses: Bar is dead dead dead. Neighborhood is a bit unsavory at night due to the train station. Honestly, to me this is a plus but I am sure to most it is a minus.

The dreaded automatic minibar that charges you if you accidentally bump a bottle, or heaven forbid take one out to look at it. But this was not an issue other than to make me come to the desk and tell them I put it all back; otherwise, I could have used Express Honors Check Out. Not a problem for me in my circumstances but would be annoying if you were in a hurry.

Kinda ugly on the outside and a bit tired on the inside.

General comments: I thought the transit system was hard to figure out if you couldn't read German. I could figure out what line to take, but it was harder to figure out which direction (or which side of the tracks to board on) than in say Paris, Barcelona, or Strasbourg. I don't see this as a criticism of the hotel, though.

Here I thought the art museums were excellent but the cathedral was over rated. And **** it was cold.

Doakes