FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Ultimate Qantas Flight
View Single Post
Old Jun 12, 2009, 12:48 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Ultimate AUCKLAND to WELLINGTON (AKL-WLG) flight
on Qantas 737-300 in economy class

Even a few hours before departure I was still unsure if I could make the flight.

Fortunately I managed to finish up and head to the airport. In the check-in area I noticed the Qantas quick-check machines were already gone replaced by (fewer ) Jetstar quick-check machines, the queue rope was now orange (Jetstar colours) and Jetstar flights were showing on the arrival and departure screens for the next morning.

I may not have mentioned in recent trip reports, but the Auckland domestic terminal has a few free internet computers near Pacific Blue check in and also near Air NZ jet baggage claim.

Security was quick and I entered the domestic Qantas lounge at Auckland for probably the last time. After a brief chat with the agent I grabbed a beer - the food offering was pathetic already (presumably to save wastage). I then met up with the other FTers who were also doing this ultimate flight - BlackCloud, Wijomas, Thai-Kiwi, and WLG Base. The lounge filled up while we talked. Boarding was called slightly early for "the last domestic Qantas flight".

Unlike the goodbye flights where we managed to arrange our seats together this time we were scattered around the cabin, but all in the first several rows. I'd noted earlier in the day that some plonker had selected the middle seat beside me despite plenty of fairly forward aisle and window seats being available. He was also quite big and ended up moving as soon as the seatbelt sign was turned off. Our chariot tonight was ZK-JNC. I suppose I can stop remembering the mnemonics of which aircraft regos have business seats and which do not. ZK-JTx are 737-400 and all have business seats, Nice D (ZK-JND) and remember remember november november (ZK-JNN) are 737-400 with business seats. Johannesburg, No C and NO c (ZK-JNB, ZK-JNC, ZK-JNO) were all economy seats.

The Wellington based cabin crew were especially bubbly and running around taking pictures of their last time in Auckland (at least working for Jetconnect) and also got their pictures taken with & by lots of passengers and also the ground crew. This was quite a contrast to my other recent Jetconnect flights where the cabin crew have been (understandably) fairly sombre.

Doors closed and push back was late. As well as the usual announcements there was mention of it being the final flight. The load was moderate - about three quarters full.

The IFE had a special "remembering 8 years of Qantas" intro video - the selected content of which was baffling and mundane. Unfortunately this is not quite accurate as they only started in NZ mid 2002. Then an old episode of Enough Rope featuring Dawn French. Most passengers ignored the IFE and talked about the end of Qantas within NZ and the coming pitfalls of Jetstar.

Food was a choice of mini quiche or an apple. The beverage service was Lindauer sparkling wine by default, or water tea or coffee if you insisted. No other alcoholic (nor soft drinks) were loaded. A second round of Lindauer was offered near top of descent.

We landed from the south almost on time. Another announcement about it being the final flight in case anyone had missed it, and lots of clapping from the passengers before we disembarked.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jun 12, 2009 at 12:53 am