FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Useful info for AA passengers to Delhi and beyond (consolidated)
Old Jun 8, 2009, 2:29 pm
Pony Soup

Programs: AA
FYI, Mr. Grates!

Originally Posted by billgrates3
thanks,
Yes, Jet Air to KTM used the int'l terminal, so I suppose the return is the same. Fortunately, we got 6 mo. visas instead of transit visas, so we are ok for going landside. Maybe we should check bags just to DEL and recheck with AA to be safe?

btw - i can't believe the size of the new DEL int'l terminal they are building for the Commonwealth Games next year - looks like an attempt to oneup LHR T5.
<OT>

If you decide to check your bags to DEL and arrive at the Int'l terminal:

Pick up your bags after the Swine Flu station and customs, then exit to landside, handing the remaining portion of the entry form to the guards at the exit. After walking down the "welcome lane" (where all the taxi and car people are lined up on the sides!), you should see an exit to your left where there are guards with guns. I believe the signs there are directing you to private parking or something. Exit there, go up the stairs that are immediately to your left as you exit and cross the street to enter the check in area. You will need a print out of your AA itinerary to enter. Once inside, you can go to the AA counter and check in, which is fairly swift for J, though I recommend doing this as early as you can.

AA will give you an invite to the lounge. To get there, you must fill out the exit forms and proceed through customs. When you exit that area, security is directly ahead of you. If you have time for the lounge, do not enter the secured area. Turn right, go up stairs, and the AA affiliated lounge is straight ahead, but the unlabeled one on the right. Someone is sitting at a normal sized wooden desk and will take your card. Not much to see here and generally quite crowded, but you can get some drinks.

For the 12:15am departure, I would leave to go through security at approx 11pm. There is a dedicated area for J & F security: use it. Pretty easy, security - no need to take off shoes. Make sure to get all carryon priority aacess tags stamped by the xray guy as this is required for boarding. Once through, find the gate and grab a seat, but not too close. Time to relax.

When it is time to start boarding, don't go anywhere. They won't tell you this at check in, but they will start with Group 1 and proceed with the coach cabin. Both trips, I watched as DYKWIA pax demanded to board their J seats..a bit amusing. In any event, be prepared for three additional security checks after passing through the first door.

1) Security Questions/ Passport Check
2) Bag Search
3) Handheld Metal Detector (split M/F lines)

Finally, you are ready for the flight! And don't worry, you will walk pass all of the Y pax who have been checked and now wait in the hot, over crowded jet bridge for the premium cabins to board! Enjoy!