FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Washington Dulles Airport {US-VA}
View Single Post
Old Jun 23, 2001, 2:07 am
Goldlust
Suspended

Programs: British Airways Gold (oneWorld Emerald), Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum
Hilton Washington Dulles Airport

Oh god.

We needed a place to sleep with our flight arriving in the evening (June 21) and the next fligt leaving midday the next day (June 22).

The rate of 165 USD seemed really high to us but we figured price and quality go hand in hand. We have sinced gotten more wisdom.

Checked in around 10.30pm after the shuttle ride from the airport. Was handed a real key, not a card. First bad sign. The keys are kind of magnetic but still. This place is more or less a dump.

I asked if I had been upgraded and was told yes. I asked three times and was told yes. Got the third floor which does not require key access.

I thought this seemed strange and called down and asked. Appearently (according to this hotel employee who referred to my floor as the "tert" floor - meaning [I]third[I] - who told us the concierge lounge opened at 9 am when it in fact closes then and seemed unable to speak English) out of the five (5) floors the floors 3,4,5 are executive floors although only 4 and 5 require key elevator access (the elevator by the way was so old the stairs were probably faster).

Found 1 robe in the room and a small bottle of sparkling water - I guess they figured only one of us deserved water. I found no rainbath or lotion.

The room was not that small, but maybe a bit above average. Very old. The bathroom was awful, torn and dirty.

My rice with the room service was very salt. My friend told me he liked salt rice so I asked him to try it out (I could not eat something so salt). He made a horrible face and started saying not too nice things about the cook and this cook's excessive use of salt (atleast one thing this hotel did not save on).

I called Guest Services Hotline and was told that room service would contact us at once. They never did. I called down an hour later, got the front desk, asked for Guest Services but the man on the phone did not know what that was. I asked for the lady I had spoken to and was told she had gone home.

To add insult to injury my friend read an info card stating that the hotel had spent "millions for you" in renovations in fact "More than a face lift. We have totally renovated our guest rooms..." and "We've set the standards for accomodations in the Dulles Coridor..."

Was this a bad joke? Did they think that if they wrote the above it would become true? I do not know about the millions spent except for one thing: they were NOT spent on this room on the "executive" floor.

What a dump. For 165 US dollars this is an outrage.

------------------
Goldlust