FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flight changed to leave 25 minutes early on day of flight
Old May 20, 2009, 10:29 pm
Scott6067

Programs: Flying Nut
Originally Posted by okcitychris
I've had this happen on more than one occasion out of OKC. It does seem to occur on the ERJ's, as I don't remember it ever happening on the mainliners out of there. One time that I know of, it was because another plane in IAH became inoperable, and they needed ours to replace it. Most of the time we wound up having to wait on someone to arrive. So as far as I know, we've never left anyone behind.

I wouldn't think it had to do with needing to close up early, as four more flights arrive after that flight departs. 1 RJ from EWR, 2 RJs from IAH, and one 737 (most of the time) from IAH
I dont recall this happening before but I have been flying in and outta TUL more lately than OKC.

Originally Posted by ctuttle
Star_World: In an ideal world they wouldn't leave someone behind, but if the flight was oversold it would be a good way not to pay denied compensation. I also found it interesting that they would change the time on the board at the gate, but not share this information with Continental so that their Gate Status and Departure automated system could be accurate. This gives the appearance that Continental was unaware of the schedule change.

If everyone is on board then no, I don't have a problem leaving early, but what is the point of having a schedule? They closed the door 25 minutes prior to the scheduled departure. If this is acceptable, why not an hour early? What is the point of having a schedule if it is ignored?

I don't believe in arriving at the airport two hours prior to departure, especially at a small airport like OKC. I arrived at the gate 30 minutes prior to departure and everyone had already boarded, and they were figuring out where to put the people who didn't have seat assignments. My printed boarding pass said I had to be in the gate area 15 minutes prior to departure, and I was there 35 minutes prior to the scheduled departure.

Maybe this is how the airline business is run these days. I have never seen a concert, or sporting event start 25 minutes early because most of the people were in their seat, or because the team needed to get to the next city early. Perhaps if they could legally overbook their arena and could lock the doors to keep the people with tickets from entering if they didn't arrive an hour early this might be attempted.
I arrive at the one hour mark to the parking garage. I did have a close one yesterday when the garage was full and the parking shuttle was taking their time. I made it to the gate at 9:30 for my 9:55 departure.

BTW, perhaps we should have an OKC DO soon!