Old May 19, 09, 12:25 pm
Flying Buccaneer

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Explorist, SPG Gold
Fussen: Castles and Spargel!

Jetlag struck back on Monday night. I went to sleep a little after 11:00 p.m., and I awoke at 3:00 a.m. Unfortunately, I never went back to sleep. At least Tuesday was not planned to be a long driving day.

At 7:00 a.m., I awoke Mr. FB and we went to the breakfast at the Hotel Sonne. The variety of juices, breads, pastries, spreads, cheeses, meats, fruits, and cereals, as well as the eggs (three types), bacon, and sausage ensured that there would be something for everyone. It was all well-presented, fresh, and plentiful. By 8:00 a.m. we were back in our room and getting ready for our visit to Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein. The parking lots for the castles were about five minutes by car from our hotel. We parked and bought tickets for both castles. It was 8:55 a.m. and our entrance times for Hohenschwangau and Neuscwanstein were 9:55 a.m. and 11:50 a.m., respectively.

The climb to Hohenschwangau looked steep, but it wasn’t that bad.

It took a little more than ten minutes with frequent stops for pictures. That left us lots of time for exploring the grounds, I read that the reason why they leave so much time before and between your tours is to get you to spend money at the shops and kiosks. However, taking pictures of Neuschwanstein (see link), Alpensee, and mountains was more interesting.

Our tour was basically a run-through of Hohenschwangau, but it was spectacular. The furnishings, materials, and views were all off the wow meter. The descent from Hohenschwangau was easier than the climb, but we opted for the bus to Neuschwanstein. The reason we took the bus and not a horse-drawn carriage was not the cost. Instead, it was to be closer to Mary’s Bridge so that we could take pictures of the castle. Unfortunately, the side of the castle facing the bridge was covered with scaffolding. (This seems to happen to me every time I visit a landmark in Europe!)

The tour of Neuschwanstein was more crowded than the one of Hohenschwangau, and just as spectacular. It’s difficult to imagine how much work went into what was completed, and how much more work would have been required to complete it. This time, we did take the carriage down the hill. We were so tired from all of the stairs in both castles that a 30-minute walk down the hill did not appeal to us.

By the time we got back down to the parking lots and ticket office, it was nearly 2:00 p.m. We were starved, and while Fussen was only 5 minutes away, we decided to eat at one of the cafes nearby. I had been craving spargel soup, so when I saw it on a menu, we stopped. I had heard that some restaurants have spargel menus during spargel season, and I didn’t believe it until I saw it for myself.

After a weißbier, some wurst, and a bowl of heavenly spargel crème soup, we returned to the hotel. It was 3:00 p.m., and all I could think of was taking a nap. Mr. FB gave me an hour, and 4:00 p.m. came too quickly. We spent the rest of the afternoon walking around the charming town of Fussen, taking pictures, and watching the people here. For dinner, I had more spargel, this time grilled in a salad with lettuce, pork medallions, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, and dressing. After that, another beer, and a Ritter Sport in the room, I am ready for a good night of uninterrupted (I hope!) sleep.

Tomorrow, we will continue on the Romantic Road, backtracking part of Monday’s route and heading for Rothenberg.