FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How much money should be put on hold during a stay
Old May 18, 2009, 7:23 am
Newbie downunder

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador, Hyatt Gold Passport
How much money should be put on hold during a stay

Hi I was wondering if anybody knows of any set rules regarding how much money is put on hold during a stay and when it should be credited back to your credit card? I recently stayed at the IC Melbourne on a reward stay and asked how they worked out what to put on hold. I was told it was the the nightly rate paid multiplied by the number of nights plus $100 AUD per night. As this was a reward night, it was charged at $79.95 AUD per night (I am assuming this is what PCR is charged by the hotel for the reward stay) as it is normally approx $200 AUD+ per night. It is the second time they have done that 2 me in the last couple of weeks. Last stay was 2 nights at $220 p/n + $100 p/n totaling $640. It seems to be a very expensive authorization and they are very slow at crediting it back to my credit card. The hotel told me it should be back in my account in 5 -7 days. I really think that is not good enough so I rang my bank and got them to reverse it as they agreed it was ridiculous to hold onto it so long after checkout. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Last edited by Newbie downunder; May 18, 2009 at 7:24 am Reason: totaling error