FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Identity Theft and Recording a Driver's License Number
Old May 10, 2009, 5:46 am
FliesWay2Much
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 12172003
I'm intentionally leaving out most of the details (type of transaction, date, location). PM me for any relevant details.

I had a transaction where the agent took my drivers license and went to photocopy it. I said no but I think they got a copy anyways. They claimed that they'd validate the information and then destroy the copy. Some days later I had a fraudulent charge on my credit card. I think it was unrelated but I filed a police report anyways. A short time later, I found something of value. They said to bring it to the desk. I said that if they do not find the owner of the item, then as the finder, it belongs to me. They said to bring it in. I told them, "Due to new and enhanced security measures, I require a photocopy of the drivers license of the agent I give the item to." Amazingly, the agent gave me a copy of their license. I destroyed the copy as I want nothing to do with it but it blew my mind that an agent would give me their full name, home address and drivers license number. Really makes me wonder how they treat my personal information if they really don't care about their own safety.
Take a spin through Myspace, Facebook, and/or Twitter and you'll get blown away at how much of their personal lives and identities millions of Americans VOLUNTARILY put out on the internet. The younger generations' privacy boundaries are vastly different than ours -- and there's no turning back. The TSA and the government in general no longer has any fear of the Constitution when it comes to collecting privacy information.