FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thoughts on Alaska itenerary and Fairbanks advice
Old May 8, 2009, 9:15 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by ilee1990
I live here and I can tell you that Whittier is a waste of time. Don't spend your money on a glacier tour--well unless that's the only one you can do.
Well I don't live in AK but my family thinks I should, with as many trips as I take there each year!

I disagree that Whittier is a waste of time. As was mentioned above, the Whittier tours emphasize glaciers, the Seward tours emphasize marine wildlife. Also, kayaking is a possibility from Whittier as is some hiking (Portage Pass trail).

A better itinerary would be to go to Seward and take the Major Marine tour. They serve a delicous meal and you will tons of wildlife. If you take the 8 hr cruise you will go right up to Aialik Glacier. Spectacular. But you would need to stay overnight in Seward unless you can get there by 10:00am and are prepared to leave around 5:30 and not get to Anchorage until 8 or 9 depending on road delays. To go to Seward and not do a Major Marine tour is a sin. So close to Alaska and never to have truly seen it.
Note that Major Marine, Alaska Heritage and Renown all offer very similar tours. If you take one of these, be sure to get one that is at least 6 hours on the water. Otherwise you don't get out of the bay. Alaska Heritage (Kenai Fjords company) has a 9 hour Northwestern Fjord tour which no other company offers. Note that the 8 hour Major Marine tour compares with the 6 hour tours offered by the other two companies in terms of distance traveled and sights seen.

Fairbanks is tough. Nothing there. But the drive up is beautiful. The Westmark, Marriott, Pike Landing, are all very good hotels. The Marriott is the best located right on the river. But nothing there. The UAF museum is a definite must. If you had a car you could drive through Goldstream valley or or Murphy Dome. Alaska is tough to see on just a few days and with no plans to hike the back country you will miss a lot.
I also disagree. Lots in Fairbanks to keep you busy for 2-3 days depending on your interests. Fairbanks is also a springboard for arctic circle tours if that is of interest.

Not sure of any Marriotts in Fairbanks unless you are referring to the SpringHill Suites, a downscaled Marriott-branded property (the SpringHill Suites I have stayed in have been very nice, just not comparable to a Marriott hotel).

Try to swing a flight seeing tour in Anchorage. It's a must do if you really want to see the area. Book early.
In my opinion, the best ways to see Alaska are by air and by boat. Flightseeing from Anchorage and from Talkeetna are highlights. Several options from Anchorage. The Talkeetna flights usually go over, around or near Mt. McKinley.

John