FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IC Abu Dhabi (Master Thread)
View Single Post
Old Nov 9, 2008, 12:40 pm
navatwal

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
IC Abu Dhabi (Master Thread)

Ive just checked out today after a 2 night stay at IC Abu Dhabi.

I must admit its an excellent property with a great man made beach and an excellent looking marina with a great choice of restaurants and good service provided by the people working there.

I do not however get the same impression from management: It felt like a tight property who are following Priority Club guidelines as strict as possible.

I actually emailed the hotel prior to my stay regarding their RA upgrade policy and what sort of upgrade I would get and also asking them on what days would my weekend bogof cert be valid as I intended using mine.

I was told back in a rather vague email that for booking a basic room I would get a CLub Intercontinental Room or a suite if available. I didnt even receive a reply regarding the bogof cert so thought it would be no problem.

Firstly upon checkin I was told I would be upgraded to a Club Intercontinental Room, ( i checked online prior to check in anyway and new I had this)

When I called the club lounge to ask for details re happy hour I was told after some confusion that I didnt have club access and that I would have to contact guest relations,

They were a waste of time and basically said they do not give club access for free and it is always extra with no club rooms for a supplement of 550 aed per night, a rip off for me considering I already had minibar anyway.

I even told that I was told by hotel that I would get club access but they were very strict in mentioning the IC RA t&c's about two tier upgrades, I couldnt be bothered and decided to give in and enjoy my stay.

I did tell the hotel that I would take this further with the Ambassador service centre later.

My two days at the hotel were fab, great property and service however I had another sour experience on check out.

Upon check out I was told that my weekend cert would not be taken as I had not handed it in at check in.

I advised that I have used this voucher at some 10 differrent properties in last 3 years and have never had any problems in using it at check out.

I called and then spoke with the next two managers who said they cannot take it as it has to be presented at check in and they said as it causes them accounting problems.

I advised I had already told them about using this voucher upon booking and received no advice about presenting this voucher at check in and also advised that It has never been a problem at check out for me at any other IC. THe woman manager then proceeded to read back the t&c's to me again frustratingly.

Very annoying experience. They finally took the bogof as a special one off once i had spent an good 15 mins digging up emails from my work account which proved I had contacted the hotel and received no advice regarding the bogof.

Even before I left the manager called me over and informed that I had to wait until they had received the emails.

Not happy about this cocky attitude from management at the IC Abu Dhabi, which ruined otherwise a superb hotel.

I am an RA with 48 nights mostly at IC properties in 2008 alone, i certainly wasn't treated like one.

Oh and finally the tight arses at IC Abu Dhabi charge for Crisps or Chocolates taken from the minibar, closely again following the terms and conditions regarding the free minibar limited to only beverages,

Fine hotel but bad management and customer service from management and check in/ guest relations staff.

I have just come back from my 4th stay at IC Grand Mumbai, excellent hotel, 4 tier upgrade to SPa Suite, club access airport pick up and great friendly staff and management. Now that was a fab perfect stay.

Now on to IC Dubai Festival City. Already booked an Exec room as I have been told that this would get me a suite and club access.