FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Smoking onboard
Thread: Smoking onboard
View Single Post
Old May 2, 2009, 1:17 am
charlesrhona

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by dsk7
In 1998 BA decided to ban smoking onboard all flights, and most customers are much happier flying as a result. Still it baffles me how for years non-smokers would deal with smokers enjoying cigarettes (were cigars allowed?) in the tight confines of an aircraft cabin. The idea that someone would be smoking next to, behind, in front of me and filling the finite cabin air with smoke seems ridiculous to say the least.

But still, smokers exist, and I have to believe that post-meal, in an inebriated, frustrated, confined state, some still get the urge to light up at 36,000 feet. Has anybody ever had experience with a person trying to enjoy a crafty ciggy in the air, and if so what happened 5 seconds after the tobacco was lit?

1998 Article on Smoke Ban

Northwest - Banning Smoking

Smoking On Airplanes - What were we thinking?
About 5 years ago on a BA flight from LHR to SIN an elderly (I suspect well into her 80's) German woman in front of us decided to light up. No one said anything but you could see the consternation in passengers faces as the tell tale smell of smoke drifted further and further through the cabin! It finally reached the nose of a FA and they politely identified the source and advised the woman that this was not allowed. From her reactions thereafter it was quite clear that she was well aware that smoking was prohibited.