FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Unhappy Hhonors member comped to ?????
View Single Post
Old Feb 29, 2004, 12:12 pm
SLC2002

Programs: DL 1MM Plat; UAL 1K, Starwood Plat
Having experience with most of the chains your looking at, I would go with *wood.

The one drawback with *wood is that the properties tend to be more expensive than Hilton/Marriott or Hyatt and they lack a low end chain (Four Points don’t compete well with equivalent Hilton and Marriott properties IMO). However, they have by far, the best elite recognition and award redemption policies.

Also, Starwood is the only program that guarantees its top level elites, access to suite upgrades. As a *wood Platinum, I average about a 75% success rate of getting upgraded to a suite. This could make a huge difference if you’re camping at a hotel for long durations.

Plus, if you use your points for room stays, Starwood can’t be beat. There are no captivity controls, and I’ve been upgraded to the presidential suite at the Princeville in Kauai, an over water bungalow in Tahiti (Moorea), a deluxe suite in Maui and other various suites throughout the world all during award stays (most of these rooms would be prices at well over a thousand dollars a night if I was to pay). I’ve also noticed on the *wood board many refugees from other programs, Hilton and Marriot included. Check out the board for more feedback.

My second choice for a hotel program would be Hyatt, especially if they start a new round of Faster Free Nights—that could be a gold mine for you. However, Hyatt does have a very limited number of properties and does lack a lower end chain.

From someone who averages 90 nights a year on 60+ stays, my vote would be for *wood first, Hyatt second, Hilton third and Marriott fourth. Good luck…