FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Japan Redemption advice
View Single Post
Old Apr 26, 2009, 6:14 am
littlevoices

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by Raffles
Don't think of Zone 2 as lazyness - think of it as a free trip to Copenhagen, Rome etc! The saving on APD (£10 Y to CPH v £80 J to NRT - and a lot more than £80 if you go after November 2009) will pay for an overnight in CPH and your flight, plus you save the miles (10k is worth another £100-£150+). I'd recommend you do stay over as it minimises the risks if your LON-CPH is delayed.
I just did this btw on a LHR-CPH (seperate ticket), before CPH-ZRH-NRT-stopover-ICN, in F. See the thread below for some thoughts on my zone 2 positioning and also quantifies my saving for a one-way flight. As I was travelling in December it saved £100 APD per person, as well as the miles.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-d...edemption.html

Personally I'd also recommend the Swiss C (But I am a Swiss fan), which I'd expect to be pretty good and goes to quite a few of the big asian cities (HKG/NRT I can think of), or NH from LHR-NRT directly (not sure on their C product, but, might be reasonable and probably pretty consistent)

I don't think stopovers in the same cities are going to be a problem at all, if the agent questions just mention they're both in Tokyo, should be enough - maybe get around that by saying "Tokyo NRT" and "Tokyo HND" to reduce confusion.