View Single Post
Old Apr 26, 09, 1:31 am
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SEA (close to KPAE)
Programs: QFF NB, DJ Gold, A3 Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver, Carlson Silver, A|Club Gold
Posts: 478
Saturday April 25th - Anzac Day

So after awaking to my phone ringing and the words "wake up call" kinda seemed to me that things were not quite right with the hotel. Seemed things had gone down in the last year... but maybe it was just the staff on shift that day. Got changed and met Mum and Dad (who were joining me in Sydney) for the Dawn service at Martin Place. Kinda regretted not bringing a decent jacket (didn't have the room) as it was pretty damn cold but for once... no rain. Mum stayed a lot longer than i expected (10 mins) as Anzac day is never easy for her as it always reminds her of my Grandad. So with just me & Dad at the ceremony it went well. Same as last year pretty much but this time the Air Force had the band and the catafalque party where as last year it was the Navy.

I made my way back to my hotel and lounged around reading and watching TV for a while till around 7ish when I headed down for Breakfast. First time I have had breakfast at the Jamison as it was included in my freebie. Pretty standard hotel buffet although the automatic pancake machine was different. After that it was time to start getting ready. I was meeting mum & dad again at 9am for the march. I passed on the suit jacket as it was getting a touch warm and decided to go with the Polar Fleece Vest I had instead.

Walked round to the Menzies where Mum & Dad were staying and they gave me a hand with my Grandad's medals. Its a bit difficult to do alone as they never end up straight, and they are a touch heavy. We walked up to O'Connell St and waited as this was the meeting point for the group. Slowly but surely people started arriving (kept an eye out for the association tie) and it all seemed to go well.

The March was held up for quite a while but while we waited just kept chatting to people as we went along. Once we finally got moving I tried to keep in line and in sync with everyone else but it seemed not everyone cared to much! The old guys had a Land Rover to go along in and they seemed to love it! We walked past Dick Smith and one of the other people was telling me he is in the same spot, every year, with the same sign. I didn't manage to get a photo of him though, it turned out to Blurry!.

Anyway i best finish this off as my flight boards in 15 mins! back home I come!
`X' is offline