FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Closed AmEx cards and lost all MR miles! Help!!!
Old Apr 22, 2009, 1:15 pm
gamer83

Originally Posted by MileJunkie
Sorry if this came up before (I did all the searching I could in the short time I had), but I have an urgent problem: my wife closed her AmEx Platinum card some time ago w/o realizing that all the MR points (close to a million!) will be gone. And they are!

She spoke w/AmEx rep on the phone, they see the exact balance she used to have, but say points are not recoverable. Apparently, one has to transfer/use them with 30 days of closing the card. Who knew?

If this is true, it really sucks, she had a lot of points, mine and hers and her business' cards were all connected to that one account for years. Little by little we closed them all, her Plat was the last one.

Any help? Can we get any/all points back?

- MileJunkie
The 30 day rule is pretty common knowledge around these parts. Sorry for your loss, but did it really never occur to either of you that if you closed all of your AMEX accounts that you may lose your MR? What made you think AMEX would keep track of yours and everyones points forever when they cancel accounts with them?

You really have no one to be mad at on this issue expect yourself, I don't know of any credit cards that allow you access to your reward account indefinitely after you close the account, in fact AMEX is one on the longer cancellation redemption times out there, I believe many issuers make you "use them or lose them" upon or even before closing the account.