FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thoughts on Travel Guidebooks
View Single Post
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:49 pm
PhoenixRev

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Guidebooks

Hello.

Great topic.

I am one of those who buys a couple of different guides books with different takes on a particular city/area. I find them invaluable in making sure that I remember not only the big spots but also remind me that there are other things that are nice to see. However, I highlight and take notes from them and use my notes to plan my days. The only things I usually carry for the day is a small point and shoot camera, maps that fold into my pocket, my wallet (tucked deep in my front pocket), and a desire to know more about where I am going.

I am headed to Edinburgh, London and Paris next year and have already been taking notes from some guidebooks. While I know that I will want to visit the Eiffel Tower and see the Victoria and Albert, the guidebooks often provide me with a little something more. For instance, one guidebook mentioned that Westminster Abbey has Evensong every night but it is actually sung (except on Wednesdays when it is spoken). A nice tidbit of info since I would love to sing Evensong.

Information from guidebooks, like any information has to be taken with a discerning eye. (No, I am not interested in going to some tourist laden restaurant near Edinburgh Castle.) By the same token, popular guidebooks often have given me some great insight and a few very good recommendations (one Montreal guidebook I had mentioned a small, out of the way cheese shop in a residential area... it was absolutely fantastic and that tip was worth the $12.95 cost of the book).

Of course, I also am not afraid to buy older, cheaper guidebooks because the prices for things listed in any guidebook are out-of-date 10 minutes after the book is published.