FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is Tumi really worth the price?
View Single Post
Old Apr 21, 2009, 12:40 am
tfar

Originally Posted by Didar56
The prior comment mentioned giving old suitcases away to Goodwill or the Salvation Army, as many homeless or in-need people would appreciate them.

I recently tried to donate a never-used, perfect condition, still in the box Samsonite "carry"-style suitcase -- old school with a small handle, no wheels, you remember those -- and as soon as I walked into both Goodwill and the Salvation Army, when they saw what I was carrying, they told me they did not want it. Apparently even homeless people require roller-style bags with extension handles and wheels. So these is no option for old carry-style suitcases other than the landfill ?
Sad but all based on marketing and mentality. I'd say just use it yourself. If it doesn't fit your travel needs perhaps it can serve as a tool box, or a special storage container for equipment you use for one of your hobbies.

I recently found a Zero Halliburton style alu briefcase in perfect condition at Goodwill for 10 bucks. I will use it for carrying cigars and accessories to herfs (for non-smokers: a herf is a meeting for cigar smokers). These meetings are always a bit nerdy so that's just the thing for it.

Till