FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - PV Alert: Can I Take Photos at the Checkpoint and Airport?
Old Apr 20, 2009, 3:57 am
pmocek

TSA re: airport photography policies: Orlando International (MCO)

Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 10:41:18 -0400
Subject: RE: Got Feedback : Orlando International (MCO)
To: Phil Mocek

Dear Mr. Mocek,

Photography is fine throughout most of Orlando International Airport. If there are concerns, signs will usually be posted in those areas. People take pictures all of the time here.

The areas of concern that TSA has is photographing specific equipment or operations. You may be asked not to take pictures of those areas. If you wish to photograph our Officers, you may ask them for permission. Many times it's not security issues, but camera-shyness.

The traveling public takes pictures around, before, inside and after the Security Checkpoints on a daily basis. I do not believe you will have any problems.

Thank you,

William A. Kretchik
Program Assistant
TSA Orlando (MCO) Customer Support
Phone: 407-563-4074
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 07:57:33 -0700
Subject: Re: Got Feedback : Orlando International (MCO)
To: William Kretchik - TSA <WILLIAM.Kretchik%AT%dhs.gov>
Cc: GotFeedback <Gotfeedback%AT%dhs.gov>

Thank you for your response, Mr. Kretchik.

I'm not particularly interested in whether there will be "concerns", I'm interested in the law. I understand that at any time I *may* be asked to do anything, but I'm interested in what I *will* be asked to do, and more specifically, in what I am *required* to do. I need to know what the law requires of me so that I can ensure my compliance.

Bob Burns at TSA has published on March 31, 2009, that TSA places no restriction on photography or video recording in airports unless the activity interferes with TSA operations [1]. On that date, he also wrote that TSA discourages (but does not prohibit) photography of computer monitors at TSA search stations. Additionally, he wrote, "while the TSA does not prohibit photographs at screening locations, local laws, state statutes, or local ordinances might. Your best bet is to call ahead and see what that specific airport's policy is. I suggest you use the Got Feedback program to directly contact the Customer Support Manager at the airport you're going to be traveling through. They will have an answer for you and if they don't, they can connect you with somebody who does."

I took his suggestion and contacted TSA via the TSA "Got Feedback?" form. You replied via e-mail. You did not refute Mr. Burns' claim (in fact, you confirmed that TSA simply *asks* people not to photograph certain equipment), and you did not mention any applicable laws, statutes, or local ordinances.

Do you have any local TSA policies at Orlando International which supersede those described by Mr. Burns? Are you aware of any applicable local laws, state statutes, or local ordinances?

Thank you for your continued assistance.

References:

[1]: <http://www.tsa.gov/blog/2009/03/can-i-take-photos-at-checkpoint-and.html>

--
Phil Mocek
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 09:13:23 -0700
Subject: Re: Got Feedback : Orlando International (MCO)
To: William Kretchik - TSA <WILLIAM.Kretchik%AT%dhs.gov>
Cc: GotFeedback <Gotfeedback%AT%dhs.gov>

I have received no further contact from you. Are you able to provide the information I have requested?

--
Phil Mocek