FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta Security in JFK
View Single Post
Old Apr 8, 2009, 4:28 pm
FlyAO2

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by Factotum
It's hard to predict these days who you're going to find in T2 because DL keeps changing it around, but it is possible to get caught out. I had that happen to me on a couple of Saturday mornings... you'd think, Saturday morning, slow time for elites, I should sail right on through... but no! Delta's got flights leaving for the Caribbean (Dominican Republic I believe) around 8:00 and all those passengers were crowding their way through T2 security! The language barrier really slowed things down too. As a Medallion I was waved right through to the ID checker, but even between there and the X-ray took well over 10 minutes to get through.

T2 is the least of many possible evils at the DL JFK security checkpoints, but there are times - not always predictable - when it gets really chaotic. Most of the time, though, there is either:
- someone manning the front of the line to whom you can show your boarding pass and who, seeing your elite status, will usher you to a point directly in front of the TSA ID checker, who will get to you as soon as he/she finishes checking the party of 15 that was there first, and then the party of 8 behind them, or
- someone roving up and down the line checking boarding passes, who will see that you are Medallion and pull you out of line, ushering you directly in front of the TSA ID checker and proceeding as above.

Good luck - and as a Medallion, do stick to T2. Even if the situation looks hopeless there, if that is the case, it is probably worse over at T3, and even if not, it is almost certainly not worth the time it takes to get over there.
I've never seen anyone check BPs and re-direct people, but maybe I've just been unlucky. They tend to add a 2nd crew of TSA people at 7AM (which they're always late on, so like 7:20AM) so it does improve somewhat at that point.

I got a CLEAR membership to solve this, but at T2 it is almost always closed. They have now opened CLEAR at T3 that is open more regularly so that's a better bet if you have a CLEAR membership. Also, I have a collegaue who also claims there are first class/medallion lines at T3, but I've never seen those.