FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - PV Alert: Can I Take Photos at the Checkpoint and Airport?
Old Apr 8, 2009, 2:37 pm
polonius
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by pmocek
I'm sorry, but I still don't understand what point you're trying to make. I'd like you to explain what was meant by your prior statement, which seems to be an attempt to compare violations of privacy on the part of government with that of private citizens. When pressed for further comment, you changed to a comparison of government searching someone's belongings to someone photographing the public interaction between people and agents of their government.

Searching my belongings has privacy implications, but it's more directly an infringement upon my Fourth Amendment protection from unreasonable searches and seizures. This is a bad example for this discussion, as we've already agreed to allow TSA to search us under certain circumstances.

Listening to my telephone conversation is a violation of my privacy. Bugging my home and listening to my conversations there is a violation of my privacy. Examining my library records or my health records is a violation of my privacy. Reading my journal or files stored on my computer while searching for dangerous things in my luggage is a violation of my privacy. Using a mirror to look up the skirt of someone standing in an airport terminal, or to photograph the same, is a violation of privacy. Do you disagree with any of this?

Photographing someone and TSA staff at a TSA search station in an airport terminal is not a violation of privacy. Do you disagree with this?
What governments do is SUPPOSED to be public, transparent and visible. What private citizens do is SUPPOSED to be personal, private and hidden. Why is it so many people seem to want to turn this simple concept upside down?