FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Big point increases in New Zealand
View Single Post
Old Apr 3, 09, 3:17 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just found out this morning when I tried to look for places where we could use up account balance before losing them end of the year. Last year I wound up donating my bal of 4K to Red Cross.

There are huge disparity amoung pt levels - take a look of properties in Japan, versus those in Australia / NZ...

In 2007 we booked several nights at Queenstown on a Clarion Select or whatever it was called, a property perched on the Shotover River where the Jetboats turned, for 10K a night. It was a very nice boutique hotel. Same 10K got us a dump in Te Anau, that nobody knew such hotel except the girl at the tourist information center - a hotel has changed hand several times and ended up with Choice group but not a single sign outside the hotel indicating such.

The pt levels in many locations, including US, are so absurb now, and there is no way to extend the expiration of account balance, plus the restriction in advance booking - totally turn us away from this program.

They are only useful to us on roadtrips to places like National Parks, where most often you have to stay in a motels. Otherwise we would get much more value for our money by going thru Priceline bidding.

It seems Choice has forgotten it has to compete with Best Western, Holiday Inn Express, Fairfield, Hampton, and even Four Points and Hilton Garden Inn, just off the top of my head.