FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - PV Alert: Can I Take Photos at the Checkpoint and Airport?
Old Apr 2, 2009, 8:11 am
FliesWay2Much
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pmocek
If I have posted any personal information, it was a mistake -- please bring it to my attention and I will promptly take action. Best I can tell, the only contact information that these representatives provided in their e-mailed responses to questions posed via TSA's "Got Feedback?" program was their work contact information. It seems that in their jobs as public contacts for TSA, publication of their contact information would be part of the job.
Phil,

Have no fear -- you published zero information protected by the privacy act. Since the TSA rubs our noses in the Privacy Act, I wouldn't expect any of their employees to know the first thing about it. There are specific categories of personally identifiable information (PII) protected under the privacy act. For Blogdad Bob to assert that official contact information for a government employee consisting of their email address, name, and office phone number is "personal" is beyond laughable.

Anybody who sends an email to anyone else -- government, private sector, or personal -- has no expectation of privacy that their message content and/or their name and email address will wind up all over the internet.

Also, the federal government is migrating to a common IT desktop standard. If you use this format: <first name>.<last name>@<agency>.gov for anyone in the government, you will be correct over 90% of the time just guessing. Many federal agencies, including mine, post their entire personnel directories including names, email, phone, office, room number, on their public web sites.

Blogdad Bob is just blowing smoke and trying to publically intimidate you. But, now that I think about it, that's the TSA's job.

Keep doing what you're doing. But, expect the word to get around and for your responses to suddenly dry up. Also, for everyone, expect to see this information redacted from future email responses from the TSA.