FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A-Fares / Rates double?
View Single Post
Old Apr 1, 2009, 8:13 am
Ryan8925

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WBurcham
Please don't take this the wrong way but, for the airline's sake, I hope they do NOT go down.

$800 for FIRST CLASS to the west coast from FLL is not expensive at all. It's ~ $.10 per EQM at $800.

With your budget, and mine as well, coach flying with the occasional upgrade is within my personal budget.
$800 is perfectly normal if your flying first class on AA or UA and/or other Legacy airlines, hence why I don’t fly them and choose Delta. I'm no expert in airline pricing strategies, but wouldn’t they rather get a confirmed $450 dollars for a first class ticket, then overpricing all first class tickets selling less, and allow someone who paid $99 (T) fare for a coach seat to get upgraded into first? Whether $800 dollars sounds reasonable to you or not, I could never justify paying that much knowing that there is a good chance the person sitting next to you in First only paid $99-$199 dollars for a coach seat and was upgraded. At $450, I can part with this fact and except, not $800+. We all know the A fare bucket is limited, so they don’t sell that many seats at that price anyway. Honestly, at this point I have 8 one way transcontinental tickets confirmed in (A) and (D) and don’t plan on buying more anytime soon, but I’m very curious to see what happens with the pricing.