Old Mar 31, 09, 8:51 pm
pmocek

I took TSA Bob's advice and asked about photo policies at 50 U.S. airports

I took Bob's advice and used TSA's "Got Feedback?" form to ask about photography policies at each of 50 major U.S. airports.

I submitted the following:

On March 31, 2009, Bob at the TSA blog wrote that TSA does not prohibit any photography of publicly-accessible parts of airports [1]. He also wrote, "while the TSA does not prohibit photographs at screening locations, local laws, state statutes, or local ordinances might. Your best bet is to call ahead and see what that specific airport’s policy is. I suggest you use the Got Feedback program to directly contact the Customer Support Manager at the airport you’re going to be traveling through. They will have an answer for you and if they don’t, they can connect you with somebody who does."

Do any such local laws, state statutes, or local ordinances apply to people who wish to photograph publicly-accessible areas of your airport? If so, which ones?

References:

[1]: <http://www.tsa.gov/blog/2009/03/can-i-take-photos-at-checkpoint-and.html>
I submitted the form for the following airports: AZ Phoenix, CA Los Angeles, CA Oakland, CA Ontario, CA Orange County, CA Sacramento, CA San Diego, CA San Francisco, CA San Jose, CO Denver, DC Washington (Dulles International), DC Washington (National), FL Ft. Lauderdale, FL Miami, FL Orlando, FL Tampa, GA Atlanta, HI Honolulu, IL Chicago (Midway), IL Chicago (O'Hare), IN Indianapolis, LA New Orleans, MA Boston, MD Baltimore, MI Detroit, MN Minneapolis/St. Paul, MO Kansas City, MO St. Louis, NC Charlotte, NC Raleigh/Durham, NJ Newark, NM Albuquerque, NV Las Vegas, NY New York (John F. Kennedy), NY New York (La Guardia), OH Cincinnati, OH Columbus, OR Portland, PA Philadelphia, PA Pittsburgh, PR San Juan, TN Memphis, TN Nashville, TX Dallas/Fort Worth (Regional), TX Dallas (Love Field), TX Houston (Intercontinental), TX Houston (William P. Hobby), TX San Antonio, UT Salt Lake City, and WA Seattle-Tacoma.

I'll follow up here with results.

EDIT: following are links to a post in this thread for each of the airports for which I have received contact:
EDIT: added BWI and CLT

see also:
2009-04-07 - count of nonresponsive airports, causes for concern
2009-04-10 - update on survey of 50 airports' polices re: photography of publicly-accessible area
2009-06-24 - minor update on 50-airport survey of photography policies
2009-08-04 - cross-reference related TSA blog post
2010-12-21 - policies verified via telephone contact

Last edited by pmocek; Dec 21, 10 at 5:45 pm Reason: add links to later posts