FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upfared itinerary On Hold (with cleared SWUs / eVIPs) gets downfared upon purchase
Old Mar 27, 2009, 8:57 pm
dazza189

Programs: AA MM Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Based on my experience, there is a LOT of correct, partly correct and downright wrong info here.
1. An SWU CAN be applied to a HELD res - even if others don't think so. The SWU is *NOT* pulled from the member until ticketed, but the class (generally 'C' for intl) IS decremented.
2. The held res DOES show "C" or "A" inventory - *NOT* the purchased fare class on AA.COM once the upgrade is applied (before purchase.)
3. Often the held ticket can *NOT* be purchased online - sometimes it can - it depends on how the agent stored the new info after applying the upgrade. I'm sure there is a reason - just have not located it yet.
4. IF AA.COM allows purchase of such an upgraded tkt - the purchase will compete at the econ level - but the tkt will have to be reissued after the SWU is actually pulled from the bank. Many times AA.COM cannot complete the purchase. When it has, I get a tkt showing the upgraded classes and the econ fare - and within 24 hours a reissued tkt showing certs pulled as an exchange tkt - with no iintervention on my part.
5. IF and only IF AA.COM has the purchase button showing, IF THERE IS ANY FARE CAHNGE SCREEN THAT POPS UP - STOP!!!! This is YOUR clue the lower inventory feature is active. ALWAYS SAFE TO TICKET A HELD SWU VIA AN AGENT.
This seems like the most complete information that accurately seems to cover this particular situation (Thanks Madison Guy and others). Perhaps we should add it to the FAQ, especially point 5 in bold.