FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Useful list of things to say when asked to switch seats
Old Mar 27, 2009, 3:23 am
tfar

Originally Posted by Goldlust
Probably true.

You psychological analysis is correct and also explains why protocol is quite important. If people know from protocol how to behave, they do not need to perform your analysis in order to conclude how they should react.

I have always found that people who know and act with what you call "archaic etiquette" are quite nice to meet and be around.

That is certainly a very interesting point of view. I have to tell you that of all the countries I have travelled, the USA stands out as the country, which is the most based on "social hierarchies". Coming from Denmark, it can be quite troublesome to see the huge differences betweens the Americans who have everything and the Americans who have absolutely nothing. Many countries in Europe prefer less extremes in how the population can live.

Just my thoughts (outside view).

A common reason for people behaving less than civil is that they do not really consider what they are doing or saying. It has already become a habit. I know I have been guilty of this, but as you, I strive to learn and improve.

I usually say either "Sure thing" (informal) or "My pleasure" (a bit more formal), when somebody thanks me. English not being my first language, I would be happy if anyone can tell me if he or she considers that wrong?
I feel honored that somebody completely agrees with my analysis and point of view. I agree with your points, too. Must be a cultural thing between the archaic, old Europe and the new world where everyone can be oh-so equal. From what I know about Denmark, the economic and social inequality in the US must be absolutely shocking. It is for me, and in Germany, we are far from being as socially responsible as our neighbors in Denmark.

While I am obviously not a native speaker, either, I think your solution is a good one. "Sure thing" is indeed very informal or familiar but fits very well in a culture that is more familiar in general. It is short for "Of course (certainly, naturally), I will help you out."

"My pleasure" is a very good answer, in my eyes. It is more formal, adds a human dimension, is rather charming because it's so positive, and provides a welcome change from the standard "You're welcome", which I always find a bit strange because it implies that one person is a stranger or newcomer and the other one isn't. Even if in French a similar use exists "Vous etes le bienvenu", this still seems strange, perhaps because we have nothing similar in German.

Somebody who'd answer me with 'No Thank You' when I ask a favor, would be immediately classified (not irrevocably but still) in my head as impolite and not very smart for the reasons stated in my previous post.

I'd almost rather get a roundabout rude answer or a funny answer. I really enjoyed those, especially the "Glad you're asking; I already wet this one".

Till