FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]
Old Mar 26, 2009, 12:23 pm
MHTFlyer

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold, , IHG Gold
We were at the RH from March 12-15 - just missed the swanky gala the weekend before but the decor was still up and it was amazing. My impressions virtually echo the OP's with the following differences/additions:

We were there on points and as a Gold, we were not upgraded but the room was large and nicely appointed - 2 double beds, a table & chairs, desk, etc... The closet was enormous -- we literally could have put a roll-away in there for our daughter.

Our bathroom did have a tub but the same vanity as the OP's. We did not find it roomy at all, and wished they had expanded it a bit more. For three of us it was impossible. We had to use a shelf in the closet for our teenager's stuff. It would have been a perfect dressing room if there had been a mirror in there but there was not.

The towels and sheets were divine. I didn't know they were Frette, and that explains everything. I didn't care for the bath amenities though - wished they were more Hawaiian.

We were able to dine at Azure and no one said a word about a dress code and I am positive my husband was wearing sandals. Maybe they've already loosened up? The food was super and the service even better. The prices were actually very reasonable for the location. My daughter had a salad and an app for her dinner, husband and I both had salad & fish, he had a marguerita and it was all done with fresh juices. I don't like tequila but even I conceded it was great. We each had a glass of wine with dinner. Total bill was about $180. (Contrast that with our $75 breakfast and it's an amazing value.) If we hadn't had other plans, we would have gone again.

The spa had opened the weekend before our arrival so I had a lomi lomi massage. The service was excellent but they were really not quite ready to be open. Certain things were lacking, such as the jacuzzi being colder than the pool.

Tiny gripes: Pre-arrival, I could not get the concierge to respond to my emails promptly (2-3 days) and when she did, she did not answer my actual questions. I decided to wait until I was on-site and that was much better. We also had a bit of an issue with housekeeping inconsistencies/weirdness. They threw away some ziplock bags of nuts & raisins and such that I had left on the desk. Turn down was done differently each night, and only on 2 of the 3 nights.

Unfortunately, the weather during our stay was not stellar and that put a damper on beach and pool activities. It rained so hard at one point that the lobby was flooding. I think they are going to have to install some kind of door system because the staff was up all night trying to keep the water out of the elevator banks. They deserve much praise for their herculean efforts.

This is a gorgeous hotel and we would go back in a heartbeat. The OP's pictures are really fantastic (way better than mine!) and very much reflect the character of the place.