FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [Merged]
Old Mar 24, 2009, 5:02 pm
rankourabu
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [Merged]

yesterday I had nearly 5 hours to kill at IAD connecting from LHR to YYZ

Getting off from LHR around noon, I went to the first RCC I came across, near the C gates.
Me: Can I get a couple drinks since I am flying international to YYZ
Dragon: No sir, Toronto is domestic. (ok, i knew i wasnt entitled to them anyway, since i was in coach)
Me: Can I standby for an earlier departure then...
Dragon: No sir, not on international flights....

After an encounter with a mouse (I will from now on belive everything I read here ), we decided to make the trek to the brand new LH lounge.

Its a bit of a journey, one has to take the shuttle, and then walk all the way down to B51 from the A gates shuttle stop.
But the lounge is superb, and one truly realizes how much the RCCs suck when you get there.

As a star gold (traveling on a "domestic" coach ticket), I was directed to the Senator part of the lounge by a friendly desk lady.

The lounge itself has lots of hot and cold snacks. Fresh salad, potato salad, cheeses, wraps, hot potatoes, various cakes, and candy. Very close if not better than any FRA Senator lounge. A german beer tap is in the process of being installed. There are 2 computers with free internet, tons of space, a great view of the gate, superb bathrooms.

I left a bit too early, walked back, took the shuttle directly to D, the whole process took maybe 8 minutes. Still had 20 minutes to kill, went to the very crowded D RCC... and had a couple carrot sticks....

The lounge is only open from 2pm until LH leaves, but if you have time to kill at IAD, the long journey to B51 is well worth it!