FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Current Fare Sales [ex UK]
View Single Post
Old Mar 22, 2009, 3:48 am
matthewuk

Hints, tips, gotchas and non Ex-UK sales

Fare Sale end dates - in one of the February 09 sales, the sale of fares actually ended before it was supposed to. Lesson learnt is not to leave it to the last minute!! And more recently in June 2012 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...says-will.html

Shareholder Discounts - most sale fares are standard published fares so you should be able to use your shareholder discount although I believe there are some exceptions. If you find otherwise then please let me know and I'll update accordingly.

MFUs - most fares can be MFUd subject to the usual Ts and Cs of booking on ba.com and paying any extra fuel surcharge

Regional Add-ons - you can usually add-on a regional flight (EDI/GLA/NCL/MAN). This used to be about £50 but as of September 2011 seems to be £58 for WT and £108 for WT+/Club/First. If it's a WT+ ticket then these book in J earning an extra 40TPs and allow lounge access for the domestic sectors. Add-ons also available ex-JER for an extra 80TPs (thanks G-BOAC!)

Qantas offers - register on qantas.com and they will send you their offers - their sales are typically just a few days long and often only bookable on qantas.com

Expedia - it was reported in this thread that some sale fares were available exclusively on Expedia but without the 28-day advance purchase rule. If you see a fare you like it may be worth shopping around if the dates don't suit you. This offer disappeared before the end of the fare sale so grab it if you can.

Promotional Codes
- you can sometimes apply a promotional code to sale fare to get a further saving. I'll highlight any I know about in post #1 above. An exmple is discussed in this thread

When will the next sale be? - we don't know!! This question is asked so often that there is now a thread dedicated to it - speculation and rumour can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...dont-know.html. I will update post #1 of this thread if there is anything concrete that we know.

Tier Points and BA Miles - Sale fares book into regular booking classes (usually O, T A and I) and earn regular BA Miles and Tier Points

Holiday Sales - there are also occasionally sales that are only valid if you buy flight + hotel. Any good ones we will highlight on this thread.

Saturday Night stay requirements - pretty much every fare requires a Saturday night stay. If you can't stay a Saturday night you can sometimes avoid this requirement by booking a Flight+Hotel deal

3-2-1 Sales - Sometimes BA will have a 3 day sale to a certain destination or area. I haven't worked out yet how 'good' they are yet and they tend to be economy only. I will keep an eye on them and post any news on this thread.

Links to non-UK BA fare sales reported on FT
Middle East CW sale - ends May 24th 2009
ex-US CW 2-4-1 sale - ends May 26th 2009
ex-Finland sale - not many details
ex-Italy 2-4-1 sale discussed from Post #5 onward
BA France Sale 21/10/09 to 16/11/09
Ex-Japan CLub World sale 25th Nov to 9th Dec 2009
Ex Egypt Premium Sale
ex-Belgium WT sale - May 2010
ex-AMS WT sale - May 2010
ex-US CW/First sale - June 2010
ex-Finland sale - January 2011
ex-Netherlands sale - January 2011
ex-Australia First class special fare August 2011
Ex-US Sale November 2011
Ex-EU Jan 2012 Sale - this looks a good one! - a bit more info in this post: Post #561
Ex-US WT/WT+ Sale Jan 2012

Last edited by matthewuk; Jun 15, 2012 at 12:20 pm Reason: Added ex-US Sale Jan 2012