Old Mar 19, 09, 1:36 pm
365RoadWarrior

Hyatt house (Summerfield) - Sandy UT - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Three-night stay, March 2009

I was on foot. The walk was about a mile from the Trax (light rail) station, past the Sandy, UT municipal city center, including City Hall. There was a strip mall on the way, with a couple of restaurants and a big Target store. That mall was on South State Street, the main artery in the area. On that particular segment, there wasn’t much else of interest, though there’s a big mall about a half mile further south and the convention center about a half mile north. Without a car, the hotel itself has a middle-of-nowhere feel…aside from the fact that the interstate is about 20 yards away.

Arrival and Grounds
Hotel is close-to-new. It looks like the landscaping isn’t finished yet. The free parking lot was nearly empty; occupancy was low. Monday morning, I didn’t see any other guests.

Spacious and open lobby, with front desk in the middle. Living room with fireplace flows into breakfast area. I was promptly checked in by a polite and seemingly competent young lady. There’s a snack shop adjacent to the front desk. I ended up back there one evening when I didn’t have my room made up, ran out of in-room coffee and had to buy some from the snack shop. $2.

No upgrade. No mention of Diamond status.

Room
Is “Studio suite” an oxymoron?
Good use of space. Divided into four quadrants: (clockwise from door) kitchen, living room with desk, bedroom, bathroom. All pictures on the website, except one, are of considerably larger rooms than I had.

Kitchen was great. Multi-burner “glass” top stove, full-sized refrigerator, real sink, plenty of utensils, pots and pans, dishwasher and small counter/table. Ample space.

Living room was a couch aimed at a bookcase/television. TV could be rotated to face bedroom. (I don’t watch TV, so no further info on this.) Small desk with decent chair. High window with shutters that wouldn’t completely block light for daytime sleeping.

Bedroom had full drapes that did block light pretty well. My room overlooked the freeway, but was reasonably (not completely!) quiet.

Bathroom was just fine. I would note that the water was soft, soft, soft. Pack sandpaper or steel wool to get the soap off. Oversized shower head delivered low, but acceptable, water pressure. Temperature control fine. Closet is in the bathroom.

Other Facilities
Good gym with new, state-of-the-art equipment. Life Fitness. 2 Ellipticals, 3 T-Mills, 2 bikes. “Tons” of weights. Temperature control actually worked! Looked out over the pool area, which I never visited. Big outdoor patio with another fireplace.
Lots of meeting space. Heck, just lots of space, period. Nothing felt cramped.
Two computers in the ‘business center’. Printer worked, but the computers rebooted about every ten minutes.

Miscellany
Free wifi worked fine.
There was also a shuttle that no one told me about that works a five mile radius from the hotel. Hotel staff knew I was walking to and from work – 12 miles a day – but didn’t think to mention the shuttle.

Breakfast
I wasn’t around for evening reception, so I can only comment on breakfast. On Saturday and Sunday, there was melon, apples, cereal, breads, butter, peanut butter, syrup, sugar-free syrup, cream cheese, juice. In the steam trays, that pink ground up meat stuff (sorry, I’m vegetarian, so I don’t know its name) french toast, pre-formed yellow egg things (again). So, for vegetarians, it’s just apples and melon. On Monday, the apples and melon weren’t available. Hungry, hungry, hungry, and a mile or more to the nearest restaurant serving breakfast. Bummer. Starbucks coffee and Tazo teas available during breakfast hours only.

So, would I go back? Sure…until the Salt Lake City Hyatt Place is open. The HP is just going to be in a better location for the carless.