FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA First - US West Coast road trip with a baby
Old Mar 16, 2009, 7:34 pm
Johnlathropa

Thumbs down What the heck is a baby doing in longhaul F ?

I am sure the OP's baby is a dellghtful, well-mannered, carefully and lovingly-parented child. Nor do I doubt the OP's testimony that on the particular two flights detailed the child only got bumptious once.

HOWEVER

I wonder what BA is doing accepting a potential squawler (and we have all sat through flights in Y and occasionally J where a baby has screamed, cried and done what babies do - not their fault - throughout a long period of time) into its "exclusive" F cabin.

If I have paid perhaps as much as $10,000 to fly a long-haul sector in F, one of the rights I am purchasing is, clearly, peace and quiet. If I buy in Y or Y+, clearly no one in his right mind has such an expectation though airlines generally do try and put families up front so I can try and book in the back. In any event, I should bring earplugs along. If in J, well, I have the right to some moderate expectation of tranquility - and I would expect airlines to segregate babies with their families in one cabin if in fact there are two J cabins, be they upstairs and downstairs in a 747 or otherwise arranged so that there is one "quiet" cabin.

I think it presumptuous of the OP to inflict a baby on the other pax in F, and foolish of BA or any other airline operating long-haul F to accept same. I don't give a fig about bleating about human rights or any other nonsense: the OP has a right to fly with their children, accepted - but not a right to fly in F class (and even J is arguable). My pov is that those having the resources to contemplate what the OP did should either fly Y or hire a nanny or trusted friend or family member to fly in Y with the infant - with of course the right to pass through several sets of "curtains" to visit said child and keeper in Y as desired. That is the sane approach. An airline enforcing same would win my respect.