FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Canadian Customs - A Situation and some Comments/Questions
Old Mar 9, 2009, 2:27 pm
CDF

Location: Michigan, DL Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by doober
This is a perfect example of how wrong people are when they say "I've got nothing to hide."
Maybe I'm misinterpreting this comment but I'm not sure how my post is an example of how I'm wrong when I say I have nothing hide. I actually don't have anything to hide when I cross the border and have always pulled over when requested. The issue I had was in the way that the secondary screening slip was filled out. By writing "Previous Port Runner" at the bottom of the slip that seemed to indicate to me that I was being accused of something which I have never done.

Originally Posted by AllanJ
>>>
>>> and one time I had to pay taxes
Did you forget to declare the item prior to inspection?
I actually had to pay taxes because I was honest and did declare the item. This wasn't the result of an inspection rather it was written up at the customs booth. When asked if I had anything to declare I told the agent what I was bringing in and they determined I need to pay taxes so sent me over to immigration. That time it wasn't that big of a deal since I pretty much figured I'd be paying additional taxes on the item anyways.

Update: Since my trip over the bridge I've pretty much stuck to crossing via the tunnel and have had no problems in either direction. Someone pointed out to me that perhaps the one agent at the bridge may have confused me with someone who WAS flagged to be on the lookout for (i.e. same last name, make/model of car, etc.) so I'm taking the position that that's what may have happened. I understand that the customs folks have a tough job to do and don't have any complaints about the fact that I was pulled over for a secondary screening. The issues that I had (and the reason I posted in the first place) was the impression that I was being flagged for something which I have never done ("previously running a port") and for being told that they couldn't divulge to me as to why I was pulled over in the first place (even though I only asked for a definition of what was written on the screening slip). I've seen some other posts here that seem to indicate that customs/border agents don't have to give you a reason to pull you over and that in and of itself is a scary thought to me. I have no problems be told I've been "randomly" selected as I used to run into this in the airports all the time back when they had the gate screenings. If I'm being singled out for a specific reason though I at least like to know what the reason is.

I normally have no problems traveling back and forth between the U.S. and Canada and have to look on this as an occurrance that was an exception rather than the rule. For those that mentioned looking into Nexus, I'll probably take a look to see if there are any benefits to getting a Nexus pass versus the costs. If this can eliminate and misunderstandings as to the frequency of my trips than perhaps it may be worth it.