FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MEM is goota be the worst NW hub
View Single Post
Old Mar 8, 2009, 5:01 am
drsan

Programs: Marriott PP, UA 1K, DL Plat, AA Life Gold, WN A-List
Originally Posted by ADLFO
I actually prefer MEM for some of the reasons already given as well as some unique to me:

1) Decent WC (although I concur that showers would be nice)

2) Excellent BBQ (Neely's Interstate and Corky's)

3) Most of the time, it is centrally located between where I am and where I need to be.

4) If IRROPS break out, enough flights to DTW, MSP, and ATL to generally get me where I need to go in a timely fashion, even if it means a second connection.

5) It ain't the ATL, so as a PM I'm likely getting the u/g.

6) If WX or IRROPS stick me there, I've got a number of friends and family in the area who will pick me up, but I'll call only after I've had some pork sandwiches.
No question that MEM has the best BBQ of any airport around. Still, if you have the time, get away from the airport and go to (the original) Corky's or the Ren, downtown. Some of the best BBQ on the planet, right there. The Ren is one of those BBQ 'bucket list' places, you must visit at least once during your lifetime.

But, as for actually flying in and out, MEM is also a great hub - for an airport of its size - because of its runway structure. Having FedEx's worldwide hub right next door has its benefits...especially during IRROPS.