FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]
Old Mar 6, 2009, 7:07 pm
bHbZ

Arrow Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

We previously stayed at the RH pre-renovations in February 2008 and couldn't wait for our return trip this year. Spoke to Kelly prior to arrival regarding my concerns (construction noise, beach area, etc.). She calmed my nerves and I cancelled my backup reservation at the Moana Surfrider.

Had a 5-night cash+points stay reserved back in April 2008 as a Gold. I qualified for Platinum in December 2008 and called the hotel 2 weeks prior to update my credentials. Unfortunately upon check-in, they only recognized my Gold status. Within minutes, the Concierge called SPG to confirm but the best available room was a partial-ocean view in the Historic Wing facing the Tower, pool, and Diamond Head. Not as great as my panoramic ocean view room (580) in 2008 but still better than a standard garden view room.

Check-in has been moved to an area behind the elevators. They knocked down walls to allow this space to look out directly into the Coconut Grove providing an airy feel with a constant refreshing breeze.

The elevator's interior panels seem to be upgraded and the hallways have a modern design with new carpeting, chair rails, light fixtures, and wall paper. I was glad to see original doors. Also happy to see the customary banana bread welcome gift.

The modern decor carried over into the guest rooms. All furnishings (headboard, chairs, desk, dresser, vanity) have an espresso stain. However, there are touches of pink and pineapples around the room - wallpaper on an accent wall, upholstery on the chairs, bathrobes, etc.

The renovations felt most apparent in the bathrooms. They expanded the room by at least 1 foot. Sounds small on paper but my wife and I both fit in there without climbing over each other. Also, they removed the tubs in favor of a larger glass-enclosed shower. There's now an oversized vanity that could finally hold our toiletries without falling over the sides. The bathroom probably had the fanciest hairdryer I ever used:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K7JLGM

They made use of all available space to hang towels - rack above the toilet, double rack opposite of sink, and a robe hook behind the door. By the way, they use Frette linens for all towels and sheets.

The biggest perk at the RH is their dedicated space along Waikiki Beach. As part of the renovations, they have all new umbrellas, beach chairs and chaise lounges with cushions at the pool. The pool/beach staff constantly "patrolled" the area to politely remind people (even Sheraton Waikiki guests) that the area is reserved for the RH.

Speaking of staff, it always felt like a welcoming party with the valet personnel there to offer you cold bottled water on your way out or a big smile and greet you by name when returning.

The Surf Lanai moved away from a hot breakfast buffet to an a la carte menu. If need be, they do offer a continental breakfast buffet. Breakfast entrees came out to be around $20/dish but were definitely of higher quality than the old buffet.

Azure had its grand opening day for guests on February 20th. Unfortunately I didn't meet the dress code - had the collared shirt and linen pants but didn't have covered shoes.

The construction I noticed onsite - the Spa hasn't opened yet, some landscaping in the Coconut Grove closest to the Tower, and minor table saw noise while on the beach (though no louder than conversations by other beach goers).

Random notes - I walked over to the Sheraton Waikiki's pool area. They installed a new water slide but couldn't recognize other updates.

Finally, minor gripes outside of the Gold/Platinum snafu - safe malfunctioned the 1st night where we couldn't program a code. We wore our valuables to the beach until a locksmith repaired the safe the next day. Also, the toilet's lever never returned to its original position after flushing. That meant actively moving the lever back or constantly listening to running water.

Hope this helps! Enjoy the pics (sorry don't know how to embed thumbnails):

Full set of pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3610127...7614892255852/