FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}
Old Feb 20, 2009, 9:21 pm
Fredd

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
We just checked into this property last night. We'd decided to try a "standby" paid upgrade and were congratulated at check-in on making the upgrade and being assigned to a garden-view room in the Ali'i Tower.

The room itself was dark and even dingy and looked out on one of the other towers, with the tops of a few palm trees if you go out on the small balcony and look down for the "garden view." Yes, there's a lounge and the chicken skewers and spring rolls were tasty there last night, but the $8 gin and tonics were no particular bargain. We generally don't use hotel fitness facilities as we like to walk outdoors so that's not a deal-breaker to us. YMMV.

We talked to the front desk this morning about checking out a day early and explained our dissatisfaction - we just don't see we got much of anything for Diamond status and the extra payment.

He cheerfully "downgraded" us to the Rainbow Tower - $40 a night cheaper and we're sitting out on our spacious balcony of a bright and cheery room on the 23rd floor with a fantastic view of Diamond Head waiting for the Friday night fireworks. Slightly smaller tub and no bathtubs but the room actually "feels" larger.

I gather we're no longer allowed to use the Ali'i Tower lounge - odd that we're entitled to lounge access in foreign Hiltons but not here - but we're much happier where we are, in a spacious and bright room with a million-dollar view.

"Before" and "after" pictures here from our travel blog.

Cheers,
Fredd