FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which car to rent?
View Single Post
Old Feb 19, 2009, 2:14 am
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
As you found in the other post, it was indeed a Limited. Actually, though, in my experience driving the non-convertible versions, the Limiteds have smoother, more supple suspension. The suspension is firmer (though not "tight") on the lower-end, lighter-weight models (especially the anemic 2.4L 4-cylinder). That may just be a function of the lighter weight of the vehicle itself meaning that it rides rougher. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if the Limited did actually have slightly beefier suspension--they just also seem to have built some "float" into it. (Suspension is hard to describe...much less actually design! Nothing you do will ever please anyone...)

To the OP: just be aware that if even some Americans, who are generally used to larger cars, say that it handles like a boat, then you may indeed find that it does, even if others (like me) don't think so. Which means that, by comparison, the Charger would handle like a cruise ship. If you want a car that truly handles tightly (aside from those luxury cars like the Corvette), you're best off sticking with an economy (even the compact Dodge Caliber is heavier than a typical European car). But then you're totally missing out on the American driving experience!