FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Useful list of things to say when asked to switch seats
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:10 pm
tfar

Originally Posted by gmcwalker
Over the years I have rarely been asked by a passenger to trade seats. However I have offered to switch when I saw it was obivously the right thing to do.
Not too long ago I saw a young couple board last and get seats apart from each other one next to me the other a few rows apart. When I saw the young ladys distress at not sitting next to her boyfriend/husband I immeadiatly offered to switch with him as I remember young love..
The FA saw this go down and she came to me and complimented me on my manners and told me that she would upgrade me to 1st class if they had one but being SWA the best she could do was serve me free drinks the entire flight.
Another time I was flying to Maui where the same situation happened. The young couple was obviousy going on their Honeymoon and had booked at the last minute seperate seats. Again I offered to switch as they did not even know to ask the FA for a switch. They were very grateful.
Again a FA saw what I did. She thanked me for helping them and this time this FA gave me an immeadiate upgrade to 1st class.
About a week later I ran into the young couple at a restaurant. Strange that they had very little of a tan yet. They bought me several rounds of Mai Tais to thank me helping them start their honeymoon on a positive note.
I have found throughout my life that good things tend to happen to people who do good things. It was amazing what happened to me from the simple gesture of offering to change a seat.
Great story and good attitude! Very skilled observation also for the lack of tan. Was the weather inclement???

AlecM, yes, Je vous en prie is exactly as you interpreted it. Very polite but also very cordial. You won't say that to someone you don't like. For example my French in-laws might say that when I profusely thank them for just having taken me (and paid) for a trip through the Champagne or BUrgundy wine regions.

The French CAN be so nice. But when they aren't, you will know what rude really means...

Till