FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 4 Days + 4-5 Hours
View Single Post
Old Feb 11, 2009, 5:18 pm
Tuneman1984

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by jengrad
Does anyone know what Thrifty's policy is for renting a car for 4 1/2 days? My flights are scheduled as such that I will need a car for 4 days and then 4 to 5 hours. When I called Thrifty and asked, the girl I talked to said that I'd get charged a week, which is more than double the 4 day rate. When I called a different rental company, the guy told me to reserve it for four days (not add on the extra hours), and then bring it back late. He told me I would only get charged the daily rate for an extra day. Would Thrifty do the same for me or would I get a stuck with a weekly charge when I take the car back?
Hi Jengrad, welcome to FlyerTalk! Some rental companies click over to a weekly rate after 99 hours. Thrifty typically calculates the weekly rate as being 5.5 times the daily (or 6x on some corporate accounts). I would go online and price it out for the time you need it, and see what the computer does. If it gives you a weekly rate, it means that 5x the daily rate would've been more expensive (e.g. 5 x $40/day vs. $185/week). The other alternative is to book 4 days and then call them to ask casually what the overtime charge is. Usually it should be no more than your rate you're booked at, but watch out if you manage to get something like a weekend rate.

Best of luck!