FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I'm in a long distance relationship, need cheap flights!
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:04 am
gglave

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
While I don't work in the travel industry I have several friends who do. One of the complaints from those that have been in the business for many years is that by and large the deeply discounted flights that used to be available for travel agents seem to have dried up, presumably as a consequence of thin margins at the airlines.

The one exception seems to be charter flights to sun destinations, i.e. they can still get very cheap 'holiday packages' that include flights, with the understanding that upon arrival at the destination they'll take a course about the resort along with a tour etc. They'll often get discounted excursion packages as well. Presumably the rationale is an agent will be more comfortable selling a package to a destination that they themselves have visited.

My travel agent friends do seem to get upgraded from time to time though - i.e. they'll buy a 'regular price' air ticket, and then call their contact at the airline and often get an upgrade, typically from economy to 'deluxe economy.'

This represents their comments from North America. Not sure if things are different on your side of the pond.