FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Useful list of things to say when asked to switch seats
Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:32 am
thechosenuno

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ajax
I have no problem with people being assertive and wanting to keep the seat to which they were assigned.

But sometimes, it doesn't kill any of us to be a little helpful. Karma has a funny way of coming back to you. ^

It just seems like some posts on this thread are about people bragging about how nasty and selfish they are being, as if it were something to be proud of.
AMEN to this! I'm firmly of the belief that we could all be a little nicer to one another. Before you say "no thank you" (and I actually think that's a quasi rude response. I usually say "no, I'm sorry" and then give a reason), look to see where the person is sitting. Chances are, it could be two aisle seats behind you in a seat identical to yours. That said, if it's a worse seat, would it kill you to say "no, sorry, I'm really tall and would only switch for another aisle seat." Sure, you could be a self-important a$$ hole and say "no thank you" since you did, after all, pay for a seat, reserve that one, and then put your royal bottom on the seat. But one of these days, you'll be flying with a wife or child. You will have reserved two seats next to each other for the two of you. And you will be subject to IRROPS...some terrible weather...and you'll be rebooked. On the next flight. In middle seats. Far, far from one another.