FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Who here actually chooses to Budget Travel? (even though your finances are healthy)
Old Jan 31, 2009, 1:34 pm
colmc

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
I'm in my 30's and am reasonably comfortable in terms of earning - but even still, I've tended to be a lot more budget orientated of late when it comes to travel.

I've got the point that if I see a *really* good deal for business class etc, I might be tempted - but for the most part, I'm taking the cheapest fares and using LCC's etc. I almost always Priceline/Hotwire my hotels (not brand loyal - if I know the area and the class than I'm generally happy - especially for the PL/HW prices!) if not choosing a cheaper brand directly. When I hit the UK, I quite often stay in budget chains such as Travelodge etc.

For example my next vacation has me travelling transatlantic for €250/$300 dollars return all in and 5 nights at a top rated hotel for €550/$700. Now that's perfectly fine for me. I'd rather have better hotel for the time I'm there, than 8 hours in a bigger seat with some food I don't overly care about for triple the price of my entire trip (at least!). I don't care for fine dining, so will happily scour the local areas for a good deli/store and spend on stuff I want to spend on.

I prefer to pay less and travel more frequently

Last edited by colmc; Jan 31, 2009 at 1:40 pm