FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]
Old Jan 30, 2009, 5:02 pm
BlissWorld
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Arrow Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]

I can give you some background info on all the NY hotels. So depending on what you want, you can decide.

First of all, my favorite hotel is W Times Square in NYC. Their price might be a bit higher (but has come down a lot due to the economy), but its worth it. I have had several stays and I consistently have received nice upgrades, platinum recognition, and excellent customer service. It's a W, so no lounge, but their room service menu is one of the best I've had anywhere ^ Nice newly renovated rooms, though can be a bit small if you have more than 2 people in the room (except for suites) It's at Times Square. Most people think Times Square, tourist trap. But it doesn't have to be. The trick is to NOT walk along Broadway and go towards 8th instead. DO NOT get off at the Times Square subway station, but try to take 50th street instead. It's only 3 blocks away, but if you are on 8th, you seriously don't feel like you are in Times Square. It's my personal secret.

W Court and Tuscany-- Old rooms, dark, but very quiet. It's in a residential area near Grand Central. I personally find them a bit depressing, but some people like the quiet feeling. Personally, when I go to NYC, I want to see the lights, I want to hear the syren, I want to see the people. So, I try not to stay here. Consistently good Platinum upgrades. No view whatsoever. you will most likely get a view of adjacent buildings or shared apartment courtyards.

W Union Square--Older rooms but larger. Popular restaurant area in Union Square. Lots of shops too. A good area to stay. Decent view.

W New York Lexington--It has been newly renovated, I havn't stayed there, but I've heard positive things since the renovation. Expect very small rooms. Similar to W Court and Tuscany, its in a less action pack area.

Sheraton NY/Manhattan--Very small and typical Sheraton rooms. Service is spotty. I've had really good agents personally, but I've heard horrible stories. The rooms are alright. It's a typical Sheraton. They do have a lounge, but I believe is closed on weekends. It has your typical Sheraton amenities, nothing to write home about. Rates are typically lower. I find it acceptable but I prefer not to stay here unless the rates are extremely low. Platinum upgrade is a hit or miss. Some of the rooms have good views.

FP Chelsea--Very small hotel. Nice staff, but very small and simple room. Extremely small bathroom. The room is acceptable for a typical FP. It's actually nicer than most, but afterall, it's a four points, so expect four points service and amenity. I don't like the area. It's near Penn Station. I find it pretty dead. Most rooms have no view whatsoever.

FP SOHO--New, decent rooms, still in a relatively quiet area. It's not really in SOHO, but close enough I guess. Again, just expect four points service and amenity. If you typically don't like four points, you won't like it here either. Free internet is nice, however.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jan 30, 2009 at 6:14 pm