Old Jan 30, 09, 4:50 pm
Kneel

Programs: AA GLD,DL,UA
Welcome to FT. And you'll notice by post 3 there's a sense of humor around here.

You can try alternate airports. Sometime BWI or IAD can be cheaper than DCA, and you can fly into one and back on another without a problem. There's a bus from BWI to the metro for about $5, and a bus from IAD to DCA is available. Sometimes there's better fares to PHL or even NYC airports, but then you'd have to rent a car and likely pay tolls.

There is a 5% off coupon in the Entertainment book for RT on AA metal, but you have to be ready to book when the reservation is made and you have to do it on-line.

A good place to check fares is ITA http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch/prego and search for all airports with whatever range you can handle up to 300 miles.

Being flexible with you dates can help. Also, you can make a reservation and roll it over each night as long as the same fare is available. If you're lucky, a lower fare may open up. I did this last year TUL-WAS (any Washington area airport). I'd make a reservation each day, and check fares the next day. If the fares were the same, I'd cancel the original reservation and make a new one. After about a week the fare dropped $70 or something, and then went up the next day. So I ticketed the lower fare. I watched the fare for the next week, and it just kept going up. So we ended up with the best fare available over a two-week period.